Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Best class ever!

Right now I am currently enrolled in one class in order to get as many credits out of the way before the baby comes, but also not too many because the end of finals and our baby boy's birth fall on the same day (June 18). So I have two more weeks left for this class which is a surveying class. If you ever see those guys out in the streets with their tripods and gps systems, yep that's what I'm doing. Definitely not as fun as it looks. Another reason I took this class before the baby came is because it is known for being a pretty intense class. Luckily I am taking it from one of the easiest teachers I have ever had at BYU. He's an older guy who is super nice and I believe this is his first semester teaching at BYU.

I pretty much began to minimize my effort for this class about 3 weeks ago when the teacher said "I've only failed one person in my teaching career and that was because he didn't come to class and he didn't take the tests. So don't worry you are all pretty much going to get a C or better." Now let's face it, a C is not a grade that most people strive for but sometimes I get a C after trying fairly hard. And to top off this excellent class, today the professor went over the final and he gave us 5 different options to choose from; 1) closed book, testing center, time limit 2) open book, testing center, time limit 3) open book, testing center, no time limit 4) open book, take home, time limit, do all problems 5) open book, take home, no time limit, choose 5 out of 10 problems to do. After voting it was pretty much unanimous that option 5 was the winner (although 2 people voted for option 2. Some of those civil engineering students are a little strange). So, I will have a whole week to spend taking the test in the comforts of my own home or in the hospital depending on when little Miller decides to come.

1 comment:

Cameron Nelson said...

Miller, It's good to read that some things don't change. I miss your snoring at night and your stories about class at the Y. -Cam